Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mountain Day

The road in.....

I had hoped to post this last night, however I was way too tired. I tried listing a few things in my Etsy shop, but when my typing kept coming out like gobbledygook, I knew a blog post was never going to happen.

So, we climbed our mountain on Saturday. Who climbs mountain in Maine in May? Well, I guess that we do! We should have known what we were in for when we saw all the roads that were washed out on our way in. There was still a bit of snow and ice in the woods and on the trail, and for quite a while we were hiking up the run off - which at times was more like a river. However, we eventually made it to the summit. It was a misty grey day, so not much for views. The mist parted momentarily for us to catch a glimpse of the Crockers, but we were pretty shrouded in the rest of the time. My 11 year old has reached the high point in every New England state, so now he is obsessed with climbing at the 4,000+ footers in  New England - he planned this trip! A long, long wet hike - that ended with three tired little boys and a very wet and exhausted pooch.

I just realized I have less than two weeks to prepare for my next local show. I promised them a bunch of still lifes (more about that later) so I had better get to work on them! I can't believe the kids will be out of school in just a few weeks. It is going to be challenging to figure out how to get my painting time in when all three of them are at home. Today would have been a lovely plein air morning, however I am off to teach reading skills to kindergartners....I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday (for those of us in the US) weekend......

2 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

Glad your trip to Maine, and your hike, was a success! The one and only time we went to Maine with the intent to hike around Acadia NP, we got rained out and bailed 2 days early. We never saw the sun for the short time we were there.

Kudos to your son for getting into peak bagging at an early age ;). You can send him out here and we can bring him on some of the many CO fourteeners the state has to offer.

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow Debbie! What a climb! Good for you and the kids! Oh and the pooch ;o) It must have been so beautiful when you got up there!
Good luck on getting all your paintings done ;o) Have a wonderful day!

Post a Comment