Monday, May 2, 2011

Sharing the Ugly, Too

Okay - I know that part of the sharing of the process here is sharing the good, the bad, the ugly. Today, it is the ugly  ;-)

The Ugly

I painted outside today for the first time in many years. Just a quick little sketch - I just wanted to break the ice and make it out there. I've been wanting to get back to plein air painting forever - and I seem to have built up a wall of fear around me that keeps me from actually doing it. I made it one of my goals this year to get back out there.

So I made it outside. I really wanted to try my new set up - and it seems like it is going to work out well for me. That I am happy about. The painting itself - not so much. When I used to paint outside, I was working very differently, and my plein air work was quick, a litttle larger, and very gestural. I think I now need to re-visit what I want to accomplish by painting outside. It is going to take some experimenting, but I hope I will find my way.....

4 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, my friend, I think you are too hard on yourself!! I don't think the painting is ugly at all!!!

Deborah said...

Hi Debbie...I am proud of you for meeting one of your goals! I agree with Stacy....I don't think it is ugly neither.

Blessings...Deborah

Melinda said...

I have no idea what plein painting is, but it sure is fun to challenge yourself once in awhile! Before you know it you'll be back in the groove and wonder why you hesitated for so long! :)

Debbie Shirley said...

Thanks guys, you are too kind ;-)

And Melinda, plein air painting is just basically painting outside instead of in the studio - it means "in the open air" - the changing light and environmental factors can make it quite challenging!

Post a Comment