Thursday, June 2, 2011

In Bloom

In Bloom - Kelsey Arboretum
6x4 inches
acrylic on watercolor paper

Another painting from the Kelsey Arboretum. It was just too beautiful a day to stay inside painting still lifes!

There are a few more types of Rhododendrons in bloom right now at the Arboretum - I think it is getting close to peak season for the plants there. I figured I'd try to get in a few more sessions there while there are still blooms. The Arboretum is having there big "open house" on Sunday with guided tours, etc. It's always fun to hear about the history of the place...I always seem to learn something new each time I attend one of their walks.

I'm not sure why I decided to use paper for this instead of canvas or board. It started out with a bunch of washes - maybe that has something to do with it. I seemed to be always drawn to these gnarled lumpy trees. I'm not sure I captured the light quite the way I wanted to....practice, practice, practice......

5 comments:

Sonya Johnson said...

The color and texture of the bark and trunk of this tree is fabulous!

Rhododendrons (and azaleas) in bloom were always something I looked forward to each spring/summer when I lived in CT. You captured them very well in this painting.

Magic Love Crow said...

Debbie, I think you did a wonderful job! The colors of the flowers, the texture of the branch, the leaves sticking through! Fantastic! Have a great day!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Beautiful work, Debbie!

Melinda said...

I'm glad to see you're outside again! :) This one is lovely, those blooms are so soft and pretty. :)

Debbie Shirley said...

Thank you!
I enjoyed painting the tree - I love the textured ones. The flower - well, I think I need more practice with the rhododendrons!

Post a Comment