Saturday, January 2, 2016

First Challenge Day - Looking Forward Mini Painting

Looking Forward
3 x 3 inches
acrylic on 1/2" MDF block

Well, I do know that is it actually the SECOND day of January, but I really wanted to squeeze in yesterday's post, so I am posting for my challenges a little bit late.....

This January, I am participating in BOTH the Fun-A-Day project and Leslie Saeta's 30 Paintings in 30 Days Challenge - kinda killing two birds with one stone, right?

The 30 Paintings in 30 Days is exactly as it sounds - around 1,000 artists from all over the world have signed up with a goal of completing 30 paintings in 30 days. I have done this challenge in the past and have found it to be a great way to jump start my year.

The Fun-A-Day Project is just a really fun and creative way to see what other artists are up to. People all over the country pledge to do something fun and creative each day in January, document it somehow, and then participate in a show creatively exhibiting their project. People paint, write poetry, draw on bananas, take pictures of strangers in coffee houses, do landscape art, creative stitchery, all kinds of incredibly fun and different "creative" acts. It is really neat to follow along online to see what people come up with! I've exhibited with a great group in Boston for the last three years - I am looking forward to seeing what projects are done this year. Mine always seem kind of boring in comparison to some of the others, but they mean a lot to me and I have fun doing them (which is the point, right?!). This year, my project is called "Fun and Games" and I am doing little paintings each day on 3 x 3 x 1/2" MDF blocks of classic toys and games. I am sure I will repeat some subjects - like Mr, Potatohead, of course - but I already have a ton of ideas and can't wait to get going on this. I am kind of informally planning to do 33 3x3" paintings and eventually exhibit them at one of the Haverhill Art Markets as well.

Of course I will  be keeping up my regular exhibition schedule with all of this, so there is a lot of painting to be done. I have also just found out that I will be needing to move out of my studio space suddenly, so if someone knows of a small space with cheap rent in Haverhill, Massachusetts, please get in touch with me  :-(

So - here is to starting off 2016 full of fun and lots of painting!!

1 comment:

Cindy D. said...

How fun is that! Wonderfully dimensional. Happy New Year!

Post a Comment