Sunday, November 24, 2019

Best in Acrylic Award!


So excited to win an award at the Newburyport Art Association's Fall Members Juried Show, Pt. 2!
"1 Hr. Service" won the Institution for Savings Charitable Foundation Award for Best in Acrylic.


This was a fun one to paint. I started it a while back (it was actually used in a photo shoot for the local paper when I was first working on it!)

Here are a few "in progress" pics:

With this kind of piece, I lay out the big shapes and colors first, adjusting the composition and all the "parts" before I start getting into all of the fun details of the bulbs, rust, peeling paint, etc. It the basic composition under the whole thing doesn't work, the finished piece won't be very successful - no matter how much detail I lay on top.


The sign is from Roberts Cleaners in Lynn, Mass. It has all of my favorite features - great colors and shapes, colored  light bulbs, and -of course- neon. I have sketched out a number of different compositions with it, so expect to see  more paintings of it!

The show at the NAA ended this weekend, so the painting is back in my studio for the moment. Please contact me if you want any more information about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment